You’ve probably heard the words ‘gross motor skills’, what are they? Why are they important? Read on to learn more….
Gross motor skills are the abilities required to control the large muscles of the body for walking, jumping, skipping and everyday activities. They influence everyday functions, such as :
- Playground skills e.g climbing
- Sporting skills e.g catching, throwing and hitting a ball
Gross motor skills influence a child’s ability to maintain an upright posture which will affect their ability to participate in fine motor skills like writing, cutting and sitting upright to listen in class, which impacts on learning.
Spending time participating in gross motor skills helps your child develop strength and confidence in their body. It also gives them an opportunity to exercise and be physically active, which is important for a healthy lifestyle. These skills are important for your child to develop in preparation for school.
Why not spend some time together these holidays, with your child, enjoying some gross motor activities?
Below are a few suggestions:
- Jumping on the trampoline
- Play hopscotch on the driveway
- Playing with a ball e.g catching, kicking or throwing a ball at a target, throwing a ball through a hoop or bowling
- Visit your local playground
- Go to the beach. Run, play and dig in the sand