Success is a funny thing because it is so subjective and everyone seems to have their own definition of what it is. For example: “Success is knowing your purpose in life, growing to reach your maximum potential, and sowing seeds that benefit others.” (John Maxwell).
What one person sees as success might be seen by someone else as mediocrity or even failure.
We all want to be successful and some people are actually willing to do what it takes to be successful, while others just hope that success will suddenly appear, without effort.
For those who would like to taste success through their efforts, here are some hints on how you might achieve it.
Getting success means:
1. Taking risks → Intelligent risks preferred
2. Playing the long game → Sometimes success takes time
3. Competing with yourself → You are looking for progress not perfection
4. Listening to your intuition → You will be surprised by how smart that “little voice in your head” can be
5. Taking small steps instead of giant leaps → Dream big but start small
6. Creating achievable goals → Use SMART criteria (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely) to ensure that your goals are clear and attainable
7. Aligning your career to your strengths and values → Make a list of your values and prioritise them
8. Asking for help → Listen to those who will be honest with you
9. Putting fear in the backseat → Ignore the negative self-talk that will limit your potential
“Success is a journey not a destination.”
“Are we there yet?”
Here are some questions that might help you decide if you are actually “getting there”:
- Do you know what you are working towards?
- What will make all your efforts worthwhile?
- Are you closer to achieving your goals than you were yesterday?
- Do you feel more fulfilled today than you did last week?
If you can answer yes to these questions, be grateful and continue down your current path, otherwise…………..?
And in the end….
Here are some definitions of success that might resonate with you.
You are probably successful if:
- you call the shots in your life and career;
- your passion is why you do things;
- you have learned from your mistakes;
- what you do helps others and makes the world a better place;
- you are willing and able to speak up for what is right;
- you give yourself permission to dream as big as you want;
- you have people around whom you love and who love you back.