The 4G forces of SCAS:
1. The importance of having a growth mindset
2. The importance of being gritty
3. The strength of being grateful
4. We are a Google school, embracing the many facets of technology.
What this means for parents:
1. Encourage your child to have a go. Encourage them to believe that hard work and effort is important in developing and growing their brains. Remind them to celebrate mistakes as brain strengthening opportunities and hope they aspire for excellence but not perfection. This also means you need to allow your child to have a go, even when you may think they can’t. Allow them to push beyond comfort boundaries and be a sidelined support if required.
2. Encourage your child to be resilient. When they struggle or are down, encourage them to view it as a learning experience, to pause and review before stepping out stronger and wiser. Those “down” moments provide wonderful opportunities for you to discuss with your child what you might do in the same situation. This is the time when you most want to fly in and protect your child, but we suggest that you resist that urge and instead empower your child with words and strategies so they can support themselves.
3. Encourage your child to be grateful means starting every afternoon with the positive questions such as, “what are you grateful for today?”. This is also a great time for you to reflect in this question.
4. Embracing technology means encouraging safe digital literacy practices. It is important that your child has technology and technology free time. Set guidelines on usage and model these behaviours in front of your child.
Stage 1 (K-2) Coordinator