A team of 36 swimmers attended the Maitland Swimming Pool on the 23rd of February to compete at the Hunter Region of Independent Schools (HRIS) Division 1 Swimming Carnival meet. The SCAS team’s objective for the day was to improve on the 7th placing result achieved in 2016. A large contingent of parent supporters, most of whom travelled in the early hours to get to the venue, were present to cheer the SCAS swimmers on. Good solid results were achieved in both the individual and relay team events, and at the conclusion of the Carnival the SCAS team achieved a 5th placing in the overall point score. This improved result was a tremendous reward for the student efforts and not only prevent a relegation to Division 2, but will also provide our swimmers with a better lane for 2018.
SCAS were also announced as Age Champions in the 10 Years Girls division (Lily Barlow, Jasmine Rumbel and Grace Curran) and the 11 Years Boys division (Ted Strong, Hayden Johnson, James Collum and Michael Vandoros). Congratulations to the following students who have been selected to represent HRIS at the Combined Independent Schools (CIS) event to be held at Sydney Olympic Aquatic Centre next month:
- Lily Barlow – U10 Girls 4 x 50m Relay
- Grace Curran – U10 Girls 50m Breaststroke & U10 Girls 4 x 50m Relay
- Zoe Oram – U10 Girls 4 x 50m Relay
- Jasmine Rumbel – U10 Girls 50m Backstroke, 50m Freestyle & U10 Girls 4 x 50m Relay
- Hayden Johnson – U11 Boys 50m Backstroke, 50m Freestyle & 11-13 Boys 4 x 50m Relay
- Jack Lund – 11-13 Boys 4 x 50m Relay
- Ted Strong – 11-13 Boys 4 x 50m Relay
- Michael Vandoros – 11-13 Boys 4 x 50m Relay
Thank you to all the parents who assisted with the early morning departure/late afternoon pick up and to all the parents who were able to make the trip to Maitland to support the team. In addition a special thank you to Year 11 students Elissa Veitch and Gracie Seller who assisted in an official capacity on the day.