All students from Years 2 to 6 will be participating in the Primary School Public Speaking Competition. Students will be given class time to prepare a talk on a topic of their choice. Students may refine and practice their speech at home if they choose. Mrs Vickers will be available in the Library during Long Break on a Thursday for any students who would like additional help in writing and preparing for the competition. The class teachers will advise when they will be listening to their presentations.
Topic: Free Choice
Time Limit: Strictly 2 minutes. A bell will be rung at 1.45 minutes and again at 2.00 minutes.
Rules: No props will be permitted.
The top nine students from each grade will participate in the St Columba Anglican School Public Speaking Finals to be held in the Iona Theatre on Thursday 5 April. The winner, plus two runners up (Years 3 to 6 only) will be invited to attend the Hunter Region Independent Schools (HRIS) Public Speaking Competition to be held at St Phillip’s Christian College, Cessnock on Friday 22 June 2018. Teacher recommendation will determine which category the students will participate in at HRIS. The categories are: speech; impromptu reading and poetry reading.
Tips for Public Speaking
- Stand and present confidently
- Avoid distracting mannerisms (eg swaying, touching hair)
- Use eye contact to assist in conveying the message to the audience
- Change the tone and volume of your voice but still keep it natural
- Any hand or facial gestures should be natural and appropriate
- Use palm cards for a prepared speech
- Choose a topic that you like and know a lot about, but also one that your audience might be interested in
- Ensure your speech has a good structure – beginning, middle, end
- Have a message or a point of view in your speech
- Be original. That’s what distinguishes one speech from others
Students will be judged according to the following criteria:
|Relevance of subject matter
Use of appropriate language
Evidence of student work
Use of palm cards
|Engagement with Audience
Please see your class teacher if you have any questions.