St Columba Anglican school plans to reopen on Wednesday November 13.
At this time, we are informed that the fire risk level to the School will have decreased. However, the situation remains unpredictable and our plans may change. We will update the community with further announcements as conditions surrounding the School and its community evolve.
As a result of the fires and road closures, some St Columba Staff may not be able to attend the campus on Wednesday. Full supervision of students will be in operation but some classes may be impacted by staff absences.
The campus and its approach roads are currently shrouded in smoke and this situation may continue. Due to the continuing smoke issue, when the school reopens, parents of children with respiratory issues may need to determine if it is safe for them to attend the campus in these conditions.
Port Macquarie Weather: BoM, Wednesday 13 November
Summary: Min 14, Max 25.
Chance of any rain: 5%
Mostly sunny. Smoky. Winds south to south-westerly 25 to 40 km/h turning southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening.
Sun protection recommended from 8:30 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High].
Secondary Events This Week
- Year 7-10 Examinations will recommence on Thursday (unless conditions deteriorate). Students and families will be provided with an updated examination timetable on Wednesday morning if the school is open. These are all moved to air-conditioned classroom spaces and a new timetable has been created. All students will be provided with the opportunity to make up missed exams.
- Year 11 RRISK Seminar: This event is cancelled.
- Cricket: The School is currently making contact with other teams and a decision will be made as soon as possible.
- Student Leadership Committee at St Thomas’ Anglican Church: This event will go ahead.
- Interschool Chess Challenge in Sydney: Parents have been informed that our advice is not to attend the event.
- FLL Robotics (Years 6 and 7): We are awaiting advices from organisers at Port Macquarie Regional Stadium.
Primary Events this week
- Years 5 and 6 Sport is cancelled.
- Year 6 Emmaus Nursing Home Visit 1 (11:00am to 12:30pm): This visit will go ahead.
- Year 5 Band Concert (4:00pm to 5:00pm): This event will go ahead.
- Year 6 Emmaus Nursing Home Visit 2 (11:00am to 12:30pm): This visit will go ahead.
- Kindergarten 2020 Orientation Session: Will go ahead as planned.
- Year 2 Camp: Due to smoky conditions, it is envisaged that this event will be postponed, and Year 2 parents will be advised separately once a decision is made.
Please also check our Facebook for updates.
We apologise for any inconvenience and thank our community for their understanding. We pray for the safety of all of our School families, and those already affected by the bushfires.